Linux commands

Jared jared at trios.org
Thu Dec 26 17:36:57 CST 2002

The old VMS systems had the most elegant text-based
help system I've seen yet. What Rick is describing
below is how it worked: You typed 'HELP' and saw a
top-level directory of all commands. Then you could
type in the command you wanted, and you'd see a
brief description of it; press Enter and you'd see
a "man" page equivalent. Then you could type in
one of the /options and see even more info. It was far
more coherent than MAN. Is there any such thing in
Linux? Man is a cryptic information overload for me.

david nicol wrote:
> I'll suggest xman, the GUI interface to the manual.  There are a variety
> of reasons why "a command that will list all the commands in
> alphabetical order with a brief description of each" is neither possible
> nor desirable, but if I shared them I'd have to bill you.
>
> On Wed, 2002-12-25 at 08:31, Rick wrote:
>
>>Thanks all for the help, but maybe I should not have said I was familiar
>>with man and info. Can anyone tell me if within man pages, info or anywhere
>>within bash that there is a command that will list all the commands in
>>alphabetical order with a brief description of each??

P.S. Woman is a cryptic information overload for me,
too, but that's another subject altogether...

-Jared