Linux commands

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Wed Dec 25 15:08:37 CST 2002

On Wed, 25 Dec 2002, Rick wrote:

> Thanks all for the help, but maybe I should not have said I was familiar
> with man and info. Can anyone tell me if within man pages, info or
> anywhere within bash that there is a command that will list all the
> commands in alphabetical order with a brief description of each??

All of them?  Uh oh...

apropos does regular expressions, so...

apropos . | grep "("[1245678]")" | less

the dot means everything.  We might want to grep only the type of man
pages too.  Man pages are stored by category from 1 to 8.  Our pager,
less, will allow us to scroll through the list with our arrow keys and do
searches with the "/" command.

Choose the numbers in the grep set to narrow down your search:

	Type			Description
	Number			-----------
	------
	1			General Command
	2			System Calls
	3			Library Functions
	4			Kernel Interfaces
	5			File Formats
	6			Games
	7			Miscellaneous Information
	8			System Manager's Manuals
	9			Kernel Developer's Manual

Let me know if that doesn't do the trick...

--
Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://attaway.net                 http://counter.li.org   user #142150