SBC DSL - is it PPoE? External modem?

Chris Hoelscher mohoel at telocity.com
Thu Dec 19 02:50:03 CST 2002

Howdy -

Due to the impending demise of Telocity (currently known as Directv
DSL), I find I will be switching to SBC's DSL.  I currently enjoy a
static IP with an external modem, and connect a D-Link DI704 to it,
using a static definitiion from the modem to the D-Link, and then the
D-Link provides DHCP to my systems in the house.

What I am hoping to find out is if anyone has experience with SBC's DSL
enough to tell me if they use external DSL modem, and if so, if the
modem to "device" (normally PC, in my case the D-Link) is PPoE, DHCP, or
what?

Also, perhaps somewhat OT, I currently have two SBC phone lines to my
house.  Does anyone know if there are technical problems with having SBC
install DSL on L2 with Telocity still active on L1?  Telocity won't be
there long, but I really would prefer to get SBC working while I still
have DSL - the thought of straight dial-up scares me!

Thanks -
Chris.