Firewall / active filter question

Jeremy Fowler jfowler at westrope.com
Fri Dec 13 18:53:32 CST 2002

...and for the nth time. Yes, Iptables is Statefull when using the state module.
There are several options that you can use: NEW, ESTABLISHED, RELATED and
INVALID. The first three are self explanatory, INVALID is interesting it's used
when:

"A packet which could not be identified for some reason: this includes running
out of memory and ICMP errors which don't correspond to any known connection.
Generally these packets should be dropped."

example:

# Drop all INVALID packets
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state INVALID -j DROP
# Accept all ESTABLISHED and RELATED packets
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

Remember you have to write the state rules or it won't work. Also make sure you
write state rules for your INPUT, OUTPUT, and FORWARD chains. It's a good idea
to block all NEW state packets except for those ports that you use.