USB Camera

Hal Duston hald at sound.net
Fri Dec 13 17:03:50 CST 2002

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> Kendric Beachey wrote:
> > No luck here yet either.  I've built a script kind of like Jim's,
> > but it stops at mounting the directory.  I set the script suid root,
> > but still, whenever it's run by someone other than root, modprobe
> > poops out with "only root can do that".  Any tips there?
>
> As previously mentioned, setting up some sort of USB group, and
> assigning proper permissions to the required devices/directories is
> probably the way to go.
>
> Your script isn't working because linux does not honor the setuid bit on
> shell scripts for secuirty.  If you don't want to go to the hassle of
> making new groups just for the USB stuff, you'll need to use something
> like sudo to get around the permissions problems...

Note that I know _nothing_ about USB but I don't think that is relevant
here.  I note that it is dying on the mount, with a message of "only root
can do that".  That is an error message from mount when a non-root user
tries to specify a set of mount options that aren't already in /etc/fstab.
Try adding the appropriate line to your /etc/fstab file, and changing the
mount command to refer to that line.  I.e. do "mount /mnt/camera" instead
of "mount /dev/usb/whatever /mnt/camera".

Hal