USB Camera

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Fri Dec 13 16:36:00 CST 2002

Kendric Beachey wrote:
> No luck here yet either.  I've built a script kind of like Jim's, but it stops
> at mounting the directory.  I set the script suid root, but still, whenever
> it's run by someone other than root, modprobe poops out with "only root can
> do that".  Any tips there?

As previously mentioned, setting up some sort of USB group, and
assigning proper permissions to the required devices/directories is
probably the way to go.

Your script isn't working because linux does not honor the setuid bit on
shell scripts for secuirty.  If you don't want to go to the hassle of
making new groups just for the USB stuff, you'll need to use something
like sudo to get around the permissions problems...

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net