KDE mem usage WAS: Re: SuSE 9.1 Install?

Steven Elling ellings at kcnet.com
Thu Dec 12 03:47:17 CST 2002

On Wednesday 11 December 2002 20:32, Dale wrote:

> Only complaint I have is that it seems to want to make
> you run KDE.. and from what I can tell.. KDE is a
> HUGE.. Need a bigger font for that one... Resource
> hog.

Here is the memory useage for my KDE3 session.

Resident memory usage: 252264 kbytes.
Virtual memory usage:  516628 kbytes.

So, Yes, KDE is a huge memory hog.  But it does run decently on my system
because everything is compiled from source with processor optimizations.

For reference purposes here are the specs for my system:
Detected 1191.522 MHz processor.
Calibrating delay loop... 2378.95 BogoMIPS
Memory: 255048k/262080k available
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) processor stepping 02

Linux radiation 2.4.18 #8 Wed Dec 11 00:43:21 CST 2002 i686 unknown