OT: U.S. firms move IT overseas

JD Runyan jrunyan.lists at dms.nwcg.gov
Wed Dec 11 21:29:14 CST 2002

<flamebait>
Here we go again.  The whining has started, as it always does when some
new prediction is made by some dim witted oracle at xyz business
consultancy.  Work will always go where a company gets the most value
for the dolloar.  Value is defined differently be different companies.
Some will seek quality, coddling, and face time.  You ain't getting that
in China.  Some just want raw, clunky function, and others want
something else.  A tarriff on labor is just a stupid idea.  It won't get
you any more money, it will just mean that more jobs stay here.  There
are already too many know nothing IT workers.  They just need to go find
the next quick buck, and let those of us who actually view this as a
science or engineering effort do the work.  Unemployment is not near an
all time high, and if this is a recession, then I'll take it.  The cost
of goods haven't risen, nor have salaries taken a significant hit(not
implying there hasn't been a hit), unless you are one of those people
that took stock options in place of real money, or worked on a Sprint
contract that paid twice what the person was worth.  If that is the
case, and you didn't save the extra money just in case of a fallout,
then it you who are at fault not the company who can't afford you
anymore.  The market is flooded with people who do IT work. Most are
highly specialized, and are of little value to a company who can't
afford to hire six experts for every project.  Those workers who are
highly skilled in a few areas, and better than average in most are where
the value is.  They sometimes take longer to do the work, but in the end
fewer people can do more of the total work.  So if all you are going to
do is predict a doomsday, then go ahead while I keep moving ahead.
</flaimbait>

--
Jason D. Runyan
USDA NITC KC