Mozilla troubles

Apollo Apollo7772 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 7 05:10:32 CST 2002

Hello, I have just installed RedHat 8 and along with it came Mozilla
1.0.1.  After the install I wanted to make sure my Internet connection
was working so I tried Mozilla.  When I'm logged in with my normal user
account Mozilla opens for about a second then closes.  At first, I
though the install was bad so I logged in as root and it opens fine.  So
I checked the permissions for /usr/bin/htmlview and they are:
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         2370 Aug 23 09:30 /usr/bin/htmlview

>From what little I know about permissions my non root account should be
able to run it fine.  So I checked /usr/lib/mozilla-1.0.1/mozilla-bin
and it is set to:
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     users      279615 Oct...

I checked Redhat.com and their Forums are down and any of the searches
are too broad to do any good.  I tried to run the Mozilla-bin manually
and I got this error:
[david at localhost mozilla-1.0.1]$ ./mozilla-bin
Gdk-ERROR **: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Gdk-ERROR **: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
[david at localhost mozilla-1.0.1]$

When I am logged in as my user account I can ftp and access email fine,
just no web access.  I have checked bugzilla.redhat.com,
bugzilla.mozilla.org and googled various parts this error and I can only
find 2 references but none have any suggestions for a fix.

I assume it has something to do with permissions but have run out of
ideas for a fix.  Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
    Apollo