Software Push

Jeremy Oberg jeroberg at comcast.net
Fri Dec 6 05:42:05 CST 2002

This is slightly different than the original purpose of Windows based
clients, but a great place to look for how to maintain an infrastructure
(made by sysadmins after the last LISA conference.)

This provides a framework for your entire infrastructure. After reading
the whole site, I realized many points for Linux/Unix on the desktop
(for something that windows can not do.) It also explains why not to
push updates, but to let the client pull them.  It highlights:
    * Remote management
    * Secure communications
    * Distributed Monitoring
    * Unattended network-based installation
    * Automatic host administration (no need to manually track or apply
changes to managed hosts)
    * Unified desktop and server management
    * Single System Image
    * Single Signon
    * Continuous, long-term live host management (no re-installation
needed to apply upgrades)
    * Ordered, validated changes to any given host
    * Prototype and class-based host definitions
    * A coherent framework for managing all of the above

http://www.infrastructures.org/

-Jeremy