Software Push

Steven Elling ellings at kcnet.com
Fri Dec 6 00:21:52 CST 2002

On Thursday 05 December 2002 14:18, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> Ok, one point that someone brought up in support of Novell is that they
> already own Novell-based software management tools that can automatically
> update workstation applications.  Windows uses SMS to achieve this,
> although in my company they more often use an embedded Version
> Check/Update routine within an application that may require updates.
>
> What does a Linux Server environment offer that can push software updates
> to (Windows NT/2000) machines?

When I worked in Sprint's ITFS as a Desktop Support Prof.  we had
distribution servers --- running some form of UNIX --- we connected to via
telnet and scheduled software pushes to Windows systems individually or as
a group.  The software pushes could be individual programs or a group of
programs.  We could even pop in a DOS floppy and rebuild a system.

I can't remember the name of it but it worked really well.  It could of
worked better if Sprint's implementation wasn't so sh*tty.