Replacing Novell software 4 or 5

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Dec 5 21:43:51 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dustin Decker" <dustind at moon-lite.com>

> Saddly, you are correct in assuming that they are going the way of the
> Do-Do bird.  You are (not surprisingly to me) unfortunately assuming that
> Linux is the replacement.  Look around you - in those cases it's Windows
> 2000.

You can't just assume it, but there's a very strong case to be made for
Linux replacing W2k on the server side.  It begins with licensing costs,
which will more than cover any investment in support expertise, whether it's
retraining existing staff or hiring new experts.  Microsoft's combination of
licensing schemes and upgrade cycles are the killer argument, but there's
also license-free prototyping and development, open standards to prevent
getting your data locked into a proprietary format, and the arguable
performance and security benefits of Linux as well.

It's a tough sell, but on the server side it's win-able.