making a exact copy of a HD

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Dec 5 20:49:08 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dale" <dale_n_ks at yahoo.com>

> Okay. what I am after is an EXACT copy of a HD.
> ghost makes a copy but it isn't exact apperantly cause
> it didnt' copy over some of the information on the
> original drive.. such as a software ID for the system.

We are led to suspect that this system is running a certain OS that is
trying to be very intrusive about protecting itself from being copied to a
new system without a new license or a call to Redmond, WA.

The problem is likely to be within the firmware of the HD, which would mean
you'd have to swap the circuit board to the new drive as well.

Or you could run Linux.