Cluster update

Jonathan Hale maclaoch at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 4 01:59:10 CST 2002

> Steinkuhler, the 48-port hub donated by David Nicol,

Really, for adequate performance, we need a switched environment...
My suggestion for what to do with the cluster: Come up with an
algorithm/matrix for determining how long it would take a thousand
monkeys pounding on typewriters to synchronously type "the entire works
of Shakespeare", write a proposal for a federal grant, test it on the
Linux cluster, and use the proceeds to benefit some of the other
worthwhile projects we have previously discussed.  (Don't laugh--I heard
that someone recently got a grant to study how mermaids would procreate
if they existed)...
You gonna be at the meeting tomorrow night?