Cluster update

KRFinch at dstsystems.com KRFinch at dstsystems.com
Tue Dec 3 18:52:34 CST 2002

Here's some ideas (some serious and most not).  We could:

- use it to filter the Spam from the kclug mailing list

- set it up as a war dialer to call telemarketing companies during dinner

- render something cool, like a sunset flyby of downtown KC, or Toy Story 5

- generate time-stamped 1024-bit random numbers for some wacky encryption
scheme

- play Quake REALLY FAST

- host our own mini search engine of Linux-related documentation

- set up a web service to automatically translate between English,
Canadian, American, Australian, and Kiwi

- play chess against some other LUG's cluster

- handicap horse races to raise enough money to get a bigger booth at ITEC
next year

- crunch an interesting but nearly useless math problem, like the best way
to call your shots when you play Battleship, a foolproof strategy for
Mancala, or whether it is better to pay or try and roll doubles when you
get sent to Jail in Monopoly

Well, just some thoughts...

- Kevin

                    Jared

                    <jared at trios.org>            To:     kclug at kclug.org

                    Sent by:                     cc:

                    owner-kclug at marauder.i       Subject:     Re: Cluster update

                    lliana.net

                    12/03/2002 11:48 AM

Marvin GodfatherofSoul Bellamy wrote:
> What are you guys going to do with it?

A Perl script virtual replica of every research project
at Stowers Institute, yielding more accurate results
without killing rats.

And for only $50, for a savings of $999,999,950.

Seriously, how about we come up with something that
no other cluster in the world is working on. Any
stark raving visionaries in the LUG?

-Jared

ps. as a default, we could simply contribute to SETI or
any of the other global multinode projects...