Apache redirect

Jason Clinton clintonj at umkc.edu
Tue Aug 27 13:49:01 CDT 2002

DCT Jared Smith wrote:

>Problem is, when the new site goes live, no one will know how to get to it
>because it's buried down in /public_html/pub/html/. I *know* that the
>solution is a "redirection," but I don't know how to do it.

You should never, ever, ever, ever, ever use HTTP REFRESH in a
index.html file as some on the list have indicated: It doesn't meet
accessibility standards, spiders don't update their indexs and more
importantly, it's not very nice to your browser's BACK button. (In fact,
this is one of the things listed in the book "Web Pages that Suck")

Instead, see this document on URL rewrite in Apache:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/rewriteguide.html