KVM Switches (was off topic)

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Mon Aug 26 16:11:43 CDT 2002

> > > I forget who the hardware guy/guys are in here but I
> > > was just curious, I saw this cable device that could
> > > hook two computers to one monitor, keyboard and mouse
> > > in the tiger direct catalog. I was wondering how
> > > difficult would it be to make one myself, it used a
> > > kvm switch and when your using one machine the switch
> > > emulates a monitor keyboard and mouse for the other so
> > > it doesnt lock up.  It said it didnt use any software
> > > to install, anyway I just thought I'd ask.

I wouldn't waste time trying to make one... there are several variations
of these devices on the market now, and the prices have come down in
recent months as well.

I've used several different ones, from the likes of Belkin, LinkSys, and
Cybex.  I'd have to say my favorite is the SwitchView from Cybex.  They
do things a bit different from Belkin, so buying cables off the shelf is
sort of hit/miss.  You can purchase cables from Cybex that are nice, but
they're sort of proud of them.  What I _can_ say is that I've never had
problem one with the Cybex.  The Belkin product has a tendency to lock
up on me from time to time (so the programmers get that one <GRIN>),
although cable kits for these are cheap.  The LinkSys required a power
supply, and after a couple of months blew a capacitor and died.

Oh - isn't that nice... was hunting for a link for you and I find that
Avocent is the new name for those who used to be Cybex.  You can still
find info on their SwitchView products at www.cybex.com

Dustin

 --
| Dustin Decker                     |
| http://dustin.moon-lite.com | The computer industry is journalists in |
| Moon-Lite Computing         | their 20's standing in awe of           |
| 913.579.7117                | entrepreneurs in their 30's who are     |
*-----------------------------| hiring salesmen in their 40's and 50's  |
                              | and paying them in the 60's and 70's    |
                              | to bring their marketing into the 80's. |
                              |		-- Marty Winston                |