Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Mon Aug 26 05:02:27 CDT 2002

On Sun, 25 Aug 2002, Aldis A. Tuck wrote:

> When I do modconf; it takes me through my choices of mods to install, I
> choose a 3c509 and then it takes me back to the first screen then I
> exit. If I run modprobe again I still see that it is only showing eth0
> off.  If I do modprobe 3c509 it says init_module device or resource busy
> and insmod 3c509 says the same thing.

The kernel help suggests the following and mentions something about plug
and play that can affect the operation of that particular card:

If you have a network (Ethernet) card belonging to the 3Com EtherLinkIII
series, say Y and read the Ethernet-HOWTO, available from
<http://www.tldp.org/docs.html#howto>.

If your card is not working you may need to use the DOS setup disk to
disable Plug & Play mode, and to select the default media type.

If you want to compile this as a module ( = code which can be inserted in
and removed from the running kernel whenever you want), say M here and
read Documentation/modules.txt as well as
Documentation/networking/net-modules.txt.  The module will be called
3c509.o.