biased feeling against 3com

JD Runyan jrunyan.lists at dms.nwcg.gov
Thu Aug 22 14:37:35 CDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 09:05, Marvin Bellamy wrote:
> I've used the old 3com cards and never had a problem.  I'm curious about
> the problem Patrick had with them on a dual-booting machine.  I've had
> issues with NICs on dual booting machines.  The problem?  Windows must
> leave the card in some inappropriate state after a soft reboot
> (restart).  It sometimes takes a hard reboot (power down) to get the NIC
> to work properly.  Note, I had this problem on my workstation (AMD 500,
> motherboard SiS), but when I upgraded the system (AMD 1600, Elite
> motherboard), that problem disappeared.  It took *forever* to figure
> that one out :(
I too have had no problems with 3com other than cost.  I suggest
RTL8129/8139 based cards.  They are cheap, and seem to be reliable for
all my needs.  If I am putting together a highend server, I then let the
hardware vendor spec the cards for the most part, so I can make them
support them.
--
Jason D. Runyan
USDA NITC KC