biased feeling against 3com

Patrick Thurmond p_thurmond at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 22 05:12:34 CDT 2002

I agree with you in cross platform and brand use, but I will definitely stress that 3COM is a waste
of money. I used to help run a network for a school district and the main Admin was obsessed with
3Com and we got an order of 200 3c905b nics and none of them worked on any dual-boot windows nt-98
systems, only 5 worked with Novell, none worked with Linux, and the rest just plain didn't work. We
had to exchange all 200 for a better model which gave us alot of problems and we had to reflash
half the second batch. I then convinced the Admin to try Linksys and we NEVER had a problem,
whether it was dual boot, or any version of Windows, Linux, or Novell. And the best thing about it
is that the NICs cost half that of the 3Com nics. Sorry but 3Com will never, ever be ordered by me
in this lifetime.
Aaron wrote:Now don't take this the wrong way. I don't know you and I have no idea what
your level of experience/expertise is. This is simply my thought on this
because I see so many people in the same boat your in.

Why would you ever sink all your expertise in one vendor? Especially with
the way this market is (and always has been). I too was a 3com based
network engineer. When they dropped all the core products I simply moved to
Cisco. I had taken the time to study both and could move between the two
with equal proficiency, ad I can with Lucent (Ascend) and even the crappy
low end junk (Netopia, etc...)

Again, not a personal slam, but I see this all the time. Like Linux.... I
love Linux. it's my preferred OS. I'll never give up Microsoft or
Solaris... I can administer them all equally. If some day everyone stops
using Windoze, I can move to Linux, or maybe everyone will suddenly switch
to Solaris. I can do that also.

The point is that the fundamentals are all the same. It just takes a little
tweaking (and remembering not to type ls on a dos/windows box... oh, that's
embarrassing...) and it makes for great job security.

Aaron