PHP Content management vs. groupware

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Wed Aug 21 14:48:17 CDT 2002

In looking for a group contact manager, I've been repeatedly pointed to
packages like PostNuke, who'd main emphasis is on managing a community news
site like slashdot.  I'm assured that somewhere buried in these systems are
the functions I need.  All of them seem focused on creating on-line forums -
like old CompuServ forums or FidoNET Echos, and that's not what I need.

If someone out there is familiar with the old eGroups system that was
absorbed by Yahoo to become Yahoo Groups (http://groups.yahoo.com), and can
tell me where I can get a system that is more oriented to a mailing list
style, that's what I'm looking for.  It might be smarter for us to just go
ahead and use Yahoo, but I'd like to set up a dedicated server and get the
domain name and everything.  I'm hesitant to spend a month's free time
configuring PostNuke and find out that on-line forums are the only thing it
can handle.

What I need is:

Calendar of events
Roster, which feeds
Mailing List, which users can configure for individual email, digest, or
on-line reading.
Image Galleries and shopping carts are options I know I can add, as well as
content pages.

Thanks again for your help.