biased feeling against 3com

mike neuliep mike at marauder.illiana.net
Wed Aug 21 17:28:35 CDT 2002

Aaron, interesting observation.  But yes, I have a really good diversified
skillset.  Migrating to cisco  from 3com was a breeze because all the concepts
were the same.  Thank goodness for standards and interoperability.  These kind
of events are why I'll never use proprietary protocols like eigrp (unless,
perhaps the GNU zebra project fully supports it http://www.zebra.org).

It is a tough call, specialization in one OS or network vendor can lead to very
high salaries as you are now the expert, but that also makes you the first to
get the axe when the company is looking to roll heads.  On the flip side the jack
of all trades kind of person won't make nearly as much, but will have more stable
employment and if they do get the axe, they'll have an easier time finding a job.
My advice here, be both, be diversified as well as an expert in one subject.

So with that in mind, I'm not even going to examine the merits of the 3com
integrated firewall! :-)  (which is what got me started on this....)

	Mike