I.L.U.G Proposal

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Wed Aug 21 14:18:54 CDT 2002

On 20 Aug 2002, JD Runyan wrote:

> I'll tell you what.  I'll give you all the raw parts for a bottom
> diverter valve for pneumatic conveyor systems, and a simple to follow
> set of instructions, and lets see if you end up with a working valve
> that doesn't leak when its closed.  That is one of the most demeaning
> and idiotic statements anyone has made on this list.  Compiling a kernel
> can be one of the most daunting experiences until you have done it a few
> times.  Sure if you know everything you need, the kernel is easy, but
> leave out one important check mark, and "kernel panic:"  Did you know
> how to make sure you can still boot your system when this happens
> without some help or resources.

This is the funniest thing I have read.  I just wish I could understand
all those Microsoft applications that are listed on job descriptions half
as much as I can compile or patch kernels.  I know linux, assembly
languages, and hardware pinouts.  I don't know any of those crazy
commercial programming languages to get me a job.  There seems to be a big
culture difference in the computer world.

If anyone has *any* kernel, boot, or init problem, send me an email.  I
can usually do these in my sleep.  I know wireless and microwaves pretty
good too.  But my ability to get any Windows application running is a
joke.  I'm a complete failure in that.

About industrial controls, I used to keep a manufacturing plant running
and miss working with pneumatic and hydraulic systems every night.  I'm
one of those who don't RTFM for those either.