Uninstall/Reformat HD

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Tue Aug 20 02:55:49 CDT 2002

OK, previous ribbing aside (SOMEBODY had to say it!!!) I am willing to
help, but I have been totally Red Hat since 5.1 and haven't installed a
Microsoft product since 'doze 95.

You just need to put the 'doze boot record back into the MBR.
(track 0 sector 0)

I suspect that when reformatted, you blew away the area where GRUB
stored the boot records.  When LILO or GRUB or any of the boot managers
are installed, they put pointers to their code in the MBR (Master Boot
Record) and copy the existing one to the Boot Track with all the other
boot entries.  When you select a image to boot, the boot manager points
to the correct record.  Since they no longer exist, GRUB can't do that.

If you have the recovery disks that were created during the 'doze
install process, or the RH install process, you should be able to put it
back, or at least boot, without much fuss.

If not, it could be a little tricky.  Just for my edification, do you
happen to have any backups of the RH partition, boot partition or the
data you need to save?

I know that under DOS and the early versions of 'doze, you booted from
floppy and ran the utility "SYS C:' on the drive and that rebuilt the
MBR.  Now I think you have to use a bootable recovery disk to rebuild
the MBR.  Without backups or the recovery disk, I would suggest
something like Norton's Firt Aid software.  I have not seen it in a
while, but it used to have a recovery program that could fix problems
like this.

I haven't worked with 'doze 2k enough to know if booting from the
install will give you the option of creating a recovery disk without
trashing the HD.

I am usually up late, so if you neeed some help or have questions, I
will TRY to keep the Linux bias out of my responses!  (grin)