Uninstall/Reformat HD

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Mon Aug 19 19:59:26 CDT 2002

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Tia Haenni wrote:

> I don't need to install an OS, the HD will just be used for data. So
> then, if I fdisk the HD for NTFS, that should be it? If I already have a
> Windoze OS installed and am not installing a new OS on said HD, I don't
> want to fdisk /mbr, do I?

In that case, it really doesn't make any difference.  The /mbr switch to
fdisk restores the previous (non lilo/grub) boot record to the hard
drive.  In your case, you don't really _need_ to do this since you won't
be booting from the drive.

Since you're not installing a new OS on this drive I would ordainairily
say you don't need it, however, I _would_ suggest you do the whole MBR
thing now because of this.  Otherwise you'll go several months, decided
to use the drive for something else, and get a bit frustrated.  Again,
not needed, but not a real bad idea right now either.

Dustin

--
| Dustin Decker                     |
| http://www.dustindecker.com |  "Youth -- not a time of life but a     |
| Moon-Lite Computing         |  state of mind... a predominance of     |
| 913.579.7117                |  courage over timidity, of the appetite |
*-----------------------------|  for adventure over the love of ease."  |
                              |   -- Robert F. Kennedy                  |