printing to HP DJ 660 w/RH7.3

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Sat Aug 17 17:53:57 CDT 2002

On Sat, 17 Aug 2002, Eric Rossiter wrote:

> I changed it to just read localhost.  lpd starts with no errors now.
>
> But I still can't print.

Are you using CUPS, the Common Unix Printing System as your lpd?  If so,
you can simply point mozilla to the port on your localhost as it has its
administration as a web server on port 631.  Nice interface:

http://localhost:631

I'm not sure if redhat uses it.  I also remember redhat in its latest
distribution versions added layers of xinetd, iptables, AND ipchains, and
other games of hide and go seek in the firewall.  To get anything to work,
I had to find each one of these nice security features just so I could
talk to my own daemons.  To check if iptables or ipchains is blocking
things you might have to use:

iptables -L               <--check the rules
ipchains -L               <--use iptables instead

xinetd has its own interesting configuration in /etc/xinetd if I remember
right.  You have to edit the files to enable services.  Or there might be
a nice GUI for all this in redhat.  I never found it as I'm partial to
typing things out.