Cell-Capable Modems

KRFinch at dstsystems.com KRFinch at dstsystems.com
Thu Aug 15 19:58:54 CDT 2002

Hal-

I kinda see it as the lesser of 2 evils.  For Example:

Let's say it's the top of the 4th, you've spent $50 to get the family to a
ballgame, and the pager goes off.  You need to look at a process running on
a server.  Do you:

A) Kiss that cash goodbye, pack everyone into the car again, drive home so
you can dial in, and hope your family will forgive you?

B) Strand the family at the park, go home and dial in, and then hope you
can make it back before the game ends?

C) Do a variation on A or B that involves driving back to the office for an
undetermined period of time?

D) Go out to the parking lot, get the laptop, and dial in over the
cellphone?

As I see it, work is already imposing on me for wearing the pager in the
first place, and they aren't paying me any more for doing it.  Something
like this would at least make having a life oncall a little more bearable.
This same scenario could just as easily unfold at a movie, at a mall, or at
the symphony.

So, have you ever used one?

- Kevin

PS- I have brought a laptop to a ballgame before.  I've done it more than
once.  I've also had to leave 3 games early so far this year because of
this derned pager.  :)

                    "Duston, Hal"

                    <hdusto01 at sprintspe       To:     "'KRFinch at dstsystems.com'"
<KRFinch at dstsystems.com>,
                    ctrum.com>                 kclug at kclug.org

                                              cc:

                    08/15/2002 02:57 PM       Subject:     RE: Cell-Capable Modems

KRFinch at dstsystems.com wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> Kinda off-topic, but I figured I would ask to see
> if anyone out there had some insights.  The idea
> got kicked around that my team might get a cell-capable
> modem to go with our new Nextel phone for the person on
> call.  That way, whenever we get a support call, even
> if we are at the ballpark, we could go ahead and dial
> in.
>
> Any anecdotes anyone has on dialing in through a cell
> phone, I'm all ears.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kevin Finch

Yes.  DON'T DO IT.  So you're going to take a laptop
to the ballpark with you?  I can't whistle v.90 either.

Hal