off topic: database executables

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Mon Aug 12 18:01:23 CDT 2002

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, rod holcomb wrote:

> I have some old FoxPro for DOS code that I would like to compile into
> a .exe Does anyone have an old copy of this program for sale, could
> recommend a cheep substitute, or could compile the code for me (I
> assume that is legal). My programs where all very basic (the most
> advanced thing I did was use radio buttons) . I know I could recreate
> all of my work within Access but would really rather have a compiled
> .exe at the end of the day and I think Access is hideous.

It was a matter of time:

http://www.recital.com/solutions_foxpro.htm

It appears they will let you try it out before you buy it.

> As an aside my brother gave me his Clipper program, the original
> Clipper (no version number) copyright 1985.  It came on 3 5.25”
> floppies.  I was able to read the floppies but I could not get the
> program to install on any of my harddrives.  “Harddrive incompatable
> error” .  The program uses some sort of protection called SuperLok
> having to do with hidden files being transferred from the floppies to
> the harddrive and some counters on the number of times this happens.

>From the newsgroups:

"Be aware that copy protect software has a bunch of problems with newer
machines/software, the most significant is that you will not be able to
install the program to any machine running faster than 8mhz. If you can
slow down the machine and get in installed, it will usually then run at
higher speeds."

Many years ago, I used to enjoy tracing protected programs through a
debugger.  It would take about two weeks of spare time to find the switch
to change the flow of execution into the actual program.

I still have the hardware to read MFM drives if you have the original
harddrive and want to uninstall the key.  I also have a variable clock
that runs from 0 - 50MHz if its a clocking issue.  It can run a computer
slow enough where the stack overflows from interrupts.