Comp grbage sale and planned obsolence

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Sun Aug 11 20:40:01 CDT 2002

Yeah, I got one like that too.  Unfortunately, getting a decent
motherboard for it costs as much as the rest of the parts, or about as
much as a new MB, CPU and case.

I wish the MB makers and case makers would standardize on a case with no
special cutouts - just one standard sized hole with a mount for a cover
plate.  Then the MB makers could ship the appropriate plate with all the
required cutouts.  Cases could be in service for 10 or 20 years, rather
then 10 to 20 months!

THAT would be a more ecologically sound practice, and cut WAY down on
cases sent to the landfill.

Kurt Kessler wrote:

I know what you mean. I just built a 1Ghz Duron last
month and have less than $300 in it. The only existing
parts that i already had were my cdrw, hard drive, and
video card. I got all the stuff through
pricewatch.com. I start salivating when I see stuff
like 512mb of pc133 for $40...

It's too bad you can't recoup some of the money on
computers of yesteryear... I have a Compaq p133 that
was a graduation gift. It cost my father $2500, not
including the ram upgrade... I'd be lucky to be able
to give it away now...