How does one start JAVA?

Chris Hoelscher mohoel at telocity.com
Sun Aug 4 20:48:59 CDT 2002

I know this has to be a stupid question, but I'm at a loss.  I've gone
to Sun and downloaded the JRE RPM package, installed it, and followed
the instructions.  However, when I point my Netscape to
file:/usr/java/jre1.3.1_04/ControlPanel.html I get an error dialog that
says

"Exec of /usr/bin/i386/native_threads/java_vm failed: 2
"Plugin: Plugin is not enabled or Java VM process has died.

What I don't see is any java anything active in 'ps aux', and I don't
recall any instructions to start java.  Any "oh, duh" comments for me?

Thanks -
Chris.