Linux Jukebox

SABowling at dstsystems.com SABowling at dstsystems.com
Thu Aug 1 15:13:20 CDT 2002

I do have a two step process in ripping the CD (cdparanoia for .wav and
bladeenc for mp3).  I'll look into normalization because I've had problems
with that in the past....

As for remotes, while researching my ID, I ran across a HOW-TO on the
subject that discussed remotes at http://www.tldp.org/.  I don't have
access to it right now or I'd give you the actual address.  It discusses
which ones to buy and how to configure it.

Thanks for the advice!
Scott

Scott Bowling
Analyst Programmer
DST Systems
816.435.4447
SABowling at dstsystems.com

                    "Becker, Rob"
                    <Becker at celeritas.com>       To:     <kclug at kclug.org>
                    Sent by:                     cc:
                    owner-kclug at marauder.i       Subject:     RE: Linux Jukebox
                    lliana.net

                    08/01/02 09:12 AM

If I may suggest and intermediate step to your ripping process, I would rip
the wav files from the cd's, perform volume normalization on them, then
encode them in whatever format you prefer (I would suggest ogg vorbis,
learn more here www.vorbis.com )  I have a similar project mostly completed
and I've found that just encoding cd's with no normalization results in
music that can drastically fluxuate in volume.  In my car, this is very
troublesome, as it leaves me fiddling with the volume from song to song.
On a related note, has anyone played with IR remotes and controlling their
computers with them?  I have an ogg vorbis jukebox in my car but currently
can use it only as my own personal radio station.  I would like to use a
remote to skip tracks, etc.  Any ideas?
Thanks.
Rob