Linux Jukebox

SABowling at dstsystems.com SABowling at dstsystems.com
Thu Aug 1 13:27:56 CDT 2002

For a while I've been throwing around the idea of having a computer play
mp3's through different speakers placed throughout my house.  With the
recent couple of topics mentioning a Jukebox I've decided to turn an old PC
of mine into a Jukebox.

I'm planning to run mpg123 to play the MP3's and control it through a web
front end (so I can use computers in any room to control the music
playback).  In order to rip CD's, I've created a script that will perform
different tasks:

1)  Rip the Songs
2)  Retrieve CDDB Info
3)  Update the IDv3 tag in the MP3 with info from the CDDB.
4)  Save them and update a MySQL table with the info.

My question is this.  I would like to be able to simply insert a CD into
the CD-ROM and have this process start automatically.  I have not had to
deal with this type of automation in Linux before and was wondering if it
was even possible...  Is there a way to start a process based off a CD
being inserted?  Thoughts?

Thanks!
Scott