logging errors [ SOLVED]

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Apr 2 19:04:39 CST 2002

> Ok, yeah, I'm seeing the same thing on the firewall at the house.
> Haven't had time to research that yet.
> http://www.linuxguruz.org/iptables/ might have the answers
> there...  If
> you do achieve a resolution to this problem, please let me know.

Aha! Thanks to Hal and Eric.

Found this little tidbit at netfilter.samba.org FAQ.
Guess it pays to RTFM. ;')

Q: How do I stop the LOG target from logging to my console?
A: You have to configure your syslogd appropriately: The LOG target logs
to facility kern at priority warning (4). ...

By default, all kernel messages at priority more severe than debug (7)
are sent to the console.
[This is the culprit]

So since my box is a server, I'll have to change the behavior of the
logging facility. [Kind of useless to dump anything to the console if
there is no one there to read them]

So Hal's answer fixes the problem set the --log-level to debug on
any logged packet and viola. No more screen echoes.

Or edit the syslog.conf file to something like:
kern.warn    /var/log/kwarnings

So now I know enough about logging to be more dangerous. ;')

Thanks,
Brian