Wireless neighborhoods

JD Runyan Jason.Runyan at nitckc.usda.gov
Fri Oct 19 18:14:27 CDT 2001

The concern over legally using bandwidth is not the issue here.  The
original post was a guy from sunflower.  He is talking about using that
as the lauch point as I understand it.  This is not cable/dsl service,
but frame relay service to a primary Internet provider like
quest,swbis, mci, etc.  That is precisely what they are selling thier
services for.

On Fri, Oct ,  at 10:18:25AM -0500, DCT Jared Smith wrote:
> Wireless neighborhoods was just discussed on Slashdot yesterday,
> for anyone who missed it:
>
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/10/18/1716222&mode=thread
>
> If  you're short on time, set the threshold to about 3 or 4 to read only
> the most relevant comments.
>
> I'm for one am very interested in this project, and I don't think it's a
> folly at all.
>
> H o w e v e r , it needs to be approached very carefully, because with
> dotcoms like SprintION crashing around us (still), they're looking
> for both scapegoats and cash, and will not be kind to people using
> bandwidth without paying for it. At this moment, I'm reminded of the
> way Firestone, General Motors, and Standard Oil played mean and
> dirty when it came time to defend their investments. Ralph Nader
> gives this example whenever it's time to look seriously at
> large corporations and how they deal with competition:
>
> <snip from AlterNet.org>
>
> "...in the 1930s and 1940s, General Motors, Standard Oil and Firestone
> collaborated to buy up trolley systems in 28 large metropolitan areas,
> then ripped out the tracks while pushing legislators to fund a national
> highway
> system. For this, [Nader] said, the companies were indicted by a federal
> jury in Chicago just after World War II, charged by the Justice Department
> with a criminal violation of antitrust laws, and convicted and fined
> $5000 per company for what Nader called "one of the economic
> crimes of the century."

Kansas City was one of those cities.