trail balloon... or Rick's folly...

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Fri Oct 19 18:09:37 CDT 2001

> I'm extremely interested in what you are proposing.   Robert
> X. Cringely
> recently wrote an article that bears on this idea:
>
> http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20010823.html

I'm not sure I follow this guy. I like the dry pair thing,
but how do you get the internet connection out of it?
Does it come from an account on one end of the line, or
from the end at the Telco? How would you get an internet
connection at the Telco? I can't see that, he must mean
that the Telco side acts as a router? This would be cool
for setting up local BBS type networks.
 A group of people could get dry pairs running into the Telco,
they could link them to the router in the Telco, one or more of
those connections could have wireless routers for connecting to
the next "subnet". Voila, homebuilt internet.

I'm not sure I'm keen on the idea of sharing my $40 month cable
internet connection with anyone though. I like having my PCs in
my house, not some federal warehouse.

JM2CW,
Brian