Sound Problem with CM8738

David Rush ky0dr at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 9 13:15:27 CDT 2001

Jeffrey:

Good thinking.  But I checked things out, and could not find any obvious
conflicts.

My system only has one of the apparent two (based upon the BIOS setup)
on-board serial ports enabled, and dmesg agrees:

Detected PS/2 Mouse Port.
Serial driver version 4.27 with MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x07 (Driver version 1.9)

When I boot W98, the system indicates that IRQ 3 is shared with the USB
port (which is not supported with my 2.2 kernel, I understand), yet sound
works fine.  Perhaps without USB supported, the IRQ-sharing doesn't work
right?  IIRC, I may be able to disable USB in the BIOS - not a great end
solution, but useful for troubleshooting and OK for the moment.

I/O space looks good (no conflicts found) according to W98.  My network
"adapter" (an on-board thingy as well) lives in space below cc00 (uses the
"dmfe" module, whatever the heck that is).

I could find nothing in the BIOS setup or with the W98 driver binaries that
allows me to change the settings that my on-board sound hardware
use.  Drats - it appears I can't even experiment with that.

IRQ 5 is unused in my system.

The only "modem" in my system is a Lucent "Win Modem", which is ignored by
Linux (and resources don't appear to conflict with anything).

David