xinetd and ftp

Jeremy Fowler jfowler at westrope.com
Tue Nov 27 18:50:32 CST 2001

Well if you use Redhat, I would recommend you upgrade to 7.2 since they use
xinetd by default (Along with ext3, GRUB, and GNOME 1.4) and then just install
the wu-ftpd rpm. It will add /etc/xinet.d/wu-ftpd for you so all you have to do
is edit the line in that file that says "disable = yes" and change it to
"disable = no" and restart xinetd (/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart). As a rule
all services in xinetd are disabled by default. To enable a service cd to
/etc/xinet.d and edit the file the correlates with the service. Make sure to
secure the service by adding hosts to your hosts.deny and hosts.allow before
hand.

As for Qmail, I used that for awhile but initial configuration was a bitch! To
get it all working right you had to compile and configure other packages
(daemontools). The biggest benefit I saw to Qmail was the use of MailDir. Still,
personally I prefer postfix; it's ease of use and configuration beats qmail and
sendmail hands down. I built a 20010228 patch level 8 RPM package just today,
with SSL, LDAP, and running in a chroot jail included. If you like I can email
you it, or the SRPM if you want to modify it (to disable LDAP), just let me
know.