Win XP and repartitioning

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Tue Nov 20 14:29:50 CST 2001

The answer to your question, "Who could ask for anything more???", would
be ME asking for Open Source!!!  That's what I want.

<misty-eyed rant delivered by wistful old fogey>
I am an anachronism.  I still remember the days before Microsoft tried
to take over the world when EVERYONE shared their best ideas.  After
all, where do you think DOS came from???  A band of scruffy losers
working out of someones garage sure didn't.  They just swiped the best
parts of two other popular OS'es and sold it to IBM who was so wrapped
up in internal politics that they couldn't tell the difference between
microchips and poptato chips, but know they wanted to get a small piece
of the micro-computer business.  (They succeeded - they now have a very
small piece of the PC market!)

Perhaps open source software is not as flashy.  It surely doesn't have
the PR budget that 'doze enjoys, but it is less buggy because the person
who discovers the bug can actually FIX it.  With the 'doze software, the
only thing you can do is exploit the bug.  Used to be, if you publicized
the bug, you would get a vaguely worded nasty letter from the
manufacture politely telling you to cease and desist and they would
publicly deny the bug as long as they could.  Then they would 'claim' to
work on a fix, but of course there would be no notice when the bug-fix
was released.  It didn't really matter though, because by that time, the
next over-hyped release would hit the shelves with a hand full of
semi-new features and a basket-full of brand new bugs for people to run
out and pay too much for. . .
</misty-eyed rant delivered by wistful old fogey>

I want a level playing field where we can all get the software we need
to do our work and play our games without someone telling me, "you can't
do that unless you pay me money".  I don't mind paying for value
received, but I will give up computers completely when it gets so bad
that every time I hit <enter> it costs me money!  (BTW- That is EXACTLY
what the .NET initiate is designed for. . . )

--
At 20, I was liberal, because I had nothing to lose and so much to gain.
by 40, I was conservative, because I had so much to lose and so little to gain.