One other question -- perhaps a Windows problem?

Monty Harder lists at kc.rr.com
Tue Nov 20 04:11:23 CST 2001

Bradley Miller <bradmiller at dslonramp.com> wrote:

>You know, I have my NT box working perfect for printing, but I haven't got
>any of my Win9x boxes to hook up and print from my little Samba print
>share.  I never get a chance to select my username, it just comes up with
>IPC$ (I think . . . ).   Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong or how to
>get around the problem?

  Yes.  We see this on SCO boxen with VisionFS as well.  You need to either
get the Samba box to support CHAP, or
enable plain text passwords on the 9x.

According to
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q187/2/28.asp?FR=0

1. Start Regedit.exe.

2. Locate the following key in the registry:

3. HKLMSystemCurrentControlSetServicesVxDVNETSUP

4. Change the data value for the EnablePlainTextPassword value to 1.

5. Restart your computer.

I don't remember off the top of my head whether EnablePlainTextPassword is a
binary or hex value - I can look this up when I'm at work tomorrow and have
the definitive answer, because I have it there.  Once you've done this on
one machine, export the key as a .reg file, clean out the remaining junk in
the file, and you can easily import it into the rest.