Answer machine, caller id, and email

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Fri Nov 16 14:39:13 CST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Margrave, Thomas [mailto:Thomas.Margrave at starbase.com]

> Does anybody know of app that I can use on my Mandrake p120 machine.
> I know I am dreaming but I can not find a program that will answer
> phone and save the message.  Once the message left have it send an
> email with the caller id to my pager.

vgetty has the ability to do this when used with scripts like vcop, but it's
very much a work in progress.  If you're lucky, if you have the right modem,
if you can write a good script system yourself, you might get there.

The interfaces for vgetty that I've found so far are all pretending to be
voicemail systems for serious offices, and are oriented around mailboxes and
multiple choice menus.  Simply taking and/or forwarding a message isn't what
they do, and it's pretty hard to hammer out.

I was working on a replacement for my home answering machine, and I've
pretty much abandoned the project until someone advances it a little.  I
subscribe to the mgetty/vgetty mailing list, and from reading that I gather
it's very much a system for developers, not end users, at this point.