enlightenment

D. Hageman dhageman at dracken.com
Thu Nov 15 04:30:45 CST 2001

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Gene Dascher wrote:

> Why don't you like the idea of turning it into a Desktop Environment?

I just want a simple window manager.  I don't need all that extra stuff.
If I wanted that - I would be running Gnome or KDE.  The dependency list
for e 17 is getting ridiculous.  One of my top gripes is the requirement
of a file system monitoring daemon called efsd that uses fam from SGI.
fam is RPC daemon that can monitor the filesystem.  My complaints with fam
is that a) it is RPC which translates into roughly "(R)oot my (PC)" and b)
to get the full potential out of fam you have to install a kernel driver
that does magic with vfs calls so fam doesn't have to always be polling
the filesystem (which you don't want!).  It annoys me that the new
configuration stuff is stored in hacked up berkely dbs.  If I wanted to
edit my configuration files with a utility I would go back to windows and
regedit (or maybe just install linuxconf on my machine).

I would probably consider using e 17 if it had a configure option like
--just-the-facts-maam or --without-all-the-bullshit or maybe even --KISS.

Don't worry, I have given the same opinion to raster.  He is a stuborn guy
though and I won't change his mind.  It is always fun to rag on him though
;-)

> Another desktop choice out there to confuse people?

I have found in general that people are confused as it is and a little
more confusion doesn't seem to worsen the situation ;-)

>  I really want to try it
> out and see what kind of potential it has.

You should!  It is very pretty!

--
||  D. Hageman                    <dhageman at dracken.com>  ||