The stateful packet inspection religous debate

Bill Clark bill at billclark.net
Thu Nov 8 19:12:30 CST 2001

You hit it on the head.  It all comes down to probabilities.  It is unlikely
that someone is going to break in to your system for financial gain.  The
most likely attack is to deny service simply because they can or to control
you machine(s) to launch DOS attacks on somebody else.  So if you at least
have firewall blocking the commonly exploited ports and any that you don't
need open, that's the best you can do other than spending some serious money
on other layers of security.  Remember electricy follows the path of least
resistance.  The same can be said of the majority of attackers.  The very
least you do is to run NAT.  But I would serious recommend going beyond NAT
as IP spoofing isn't as difficult as it once was.

Bill