Interesting comments from ITEC

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Thu Nov 8 17:00:19 CST 2001

Whew -- made it in just in time for the keynote speaker from Counterpane's
Bruce Schneier.   One thing that I found interesting was his view on
security -- it shouldn't be the victim who's held responsible for the
action. That was my very point the other day.  I wasn't inviting people
into my system, I don't pass out passwords, or do anything else to give
them a red carpet welcome.   His points were valid -- no system is ever
going to be secure.  It's a matter of detecting and minimizing the threats.

Oh -- and if anyone is wondering . . . from what I've looked at so far,
monitoring with Counterpane's service is about $10K per month.   It's a bit
pricey for what I need, but if my coloc's NOC would do it . . . I'd gladly
pay service fee for monitoring.

-- Bradley Miller