Upgrade to 2.4 kernal with Redhat

Charles K. Lee II chuckx at cold-sun.com
Tue Nov 6 05:12:21 CST 2001

The easiest way would definitely have to be getting a newer version of your
distribution and installing that.  Like Jim recommended, having your /home
partition seperate from the rest of the file system is a definite help when
going through the process of reinstalling your Linux system.

However, after you get comfortable using Linux you may want to consider
downloading the kernel source and compiling it yourself.  It's not too
complicated of a process.  If you do feel like taking up the challenge, just
remember to consult the .DocumentationChanges file in the source tree and
make sure that all the required programs are up to date for the kernel
version you are trying to install.

Also, if you intend to compile your own kernel, make sure you're familiar
with your computer and all the hardware in it.  That way, when you're going
through the configuration process, you only need to select the portions of
the kernel that you need for your specific hardware.  By doing that you can
create a smaller kernel binary and minimize the number of modules you have
lying around in your system.

I've been using Linux for a few years now.  I would by no means consider
myself a guru, but when compiling a kernel I don't even break a sweat.  It's
nice to try doing it yourself because you get a little glimpse of what's
happening behinds the scenes in your computer.

For more detailed instructions on how to compile your own kernel, refer to:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html

--
- chuckx | Charles K. Lee II -
- chuckx at cold-sun.com -