Software Installs

Jim Herrmann Jim at itdepends.com
Thu Nov 1 05:29:51 CST 2001

On Tuesday 30 October 2001 06:38 pm, Don Erickson wrote:

> The command line is your friend.  If you'd rather mouse-click to start
> things, once you find the binary that launches the program you can drag
> and drop it from a file manager onto your desktop.  Also,
> /usr/share/doc/<program name> might contain information.

Once you have drug and dropped, creating a link, then you can go into the
properties of the link and change the icon.  This is in KDE in Mandrake, but
something similar should exist for your distro:  Right click->Properties,
click on the icon, other icons, browse to the directory containing the
application icons, which in the case of Star Office 6.0 is
/usr/local/staroffice6.0/share/kde/icons/ and then I use
001_star_butterfly.l.xpm for my desktop.  Your preference my vary.  Also, you
can configure the file types of for example *.doc to automatically launch
Star Office when you click on them in Konqueror.

Can't help you with Gnome, but I'm sure there is similar functionality.

HTH,
Jim