gcc compiler problems

Tony Hammitt thammitt at kc.rr.com
Wed May 23 12:37:21 CDT 2001

I just recently compiled and installed gcc-2.95.3 and binutils-2.11 on SCO
at work.  They seem to be fine.  It took a long time to compile them but it
was educational.  First I compiled gcc with the SCO binutils, then compiled
binutils, then recompiled gcc.  I also installed GNU make and some other
things.  It was about a day's work.

This was all in an unsuccessful attempt to get a native compile of MySQL on
our anchient, unsupported version of SCO Unixware.  But I like having gcc
installed, it's a much better compiler than the one SCO shipped.  SCO's lets
you get away with horrible standards violations and syntax errors (I've seen
it compile and link a program using structure members that weren't in the
typedef, etc. [how???])

So I think you should be fine with 2.95.3 and the new binutils.  They can
be obtained from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu .

Later,

	Tony