New NIC isn't detected by linux!?

Franklin, Joel JDFranklin at moheck.com
Tue May 22 16:50:16 CDT 2001

1. Download the drivers from 3COM's web site. Put 3C509.EXE on a bootable
DOS disk.
2. Boot to DOS
3. Run 3C5X9CFG.EXE (available in the driver downloads from 3COM's web site)
4. Configure the card as non-PnP and note what resources it uses. Test it
while you're at it. If you've got another 3C509, do an echo test; this will
guarantee the functionality of the card at the hardware level.
    (standard warning about resource conflicts)
5. If the motherboard BIOS on your Linux box supports it, specify the
resources being used by the network card as unavailable for PnP devices.
6. If that doesn't work, try using the card in PnP mode. Rots of ruck...