New NIC isn't detected by linux!?

Jim Bradley jbradley at classicnet.net
Tue May 22 12:01:46 CDT 2001

** Reply to message from "jared" <jared at mail.ru> on Mon, 21 May 2001 19:44:09
-0500

> ... 3com 509b NIC ... This card used to be used in another debian machine ...
> After I reboot the machine and login, "ifconfig" does not report a running eth0
> and there are no /dev/eth* entries....  As of now, my only idea is to try to save
> up to replace the motherboard.

Before replacing the motherboard, which seems a bit drastic for this, I'd
download the driver set from 3com and reconfigure the card. I've had the same
problem when an interrupt on a newly added card  matched an interrupt that
another card was already using. ISA PnP can be a bit flaky, so I'd configure the
card to NOT use the autodetect (The autoconfiguration which picks out an address
and interrupt works fine.).

Jim Bradley -- Maryville, MO USA (jbradley at classicnet.net)