New NIC isn't detected by linux!?

jared jared at mail.ru
Tue May 22 00:48:15 CDT 2001

I have tried to install both Debian 2.2 and Redhat 7.0 and neither of them will take use of my 3com
509b NIC.  This card used to be used in another debian machine of mine and i KNOW that I have
selected the proper module for the debian installation, which says it has successfully been
installed.  After I reboot the machine and login, "ifconfig" does not report a running eth0 and
there are no /dev/eth* entries.   If anybody has any clue what is wrong here, please let me know.
As of now, my only idea is to try to save up to replace the motherboard.

Jared