webcam

Randy Rathbun randy at randyrathbun.org
Sun May 13 16:08:57 CDT 2001

I had one set up sending space shuttle stuff a few months ago. It is
really simple.

Get one of the supported BTTV cards and plug it in. Get it running under
xawtv. Once you are at this point you are home free.

Now you need to grab one of the webcam apps that is on freshmeat.net - any
of them will work. Just set it up and that is it.

You might want to look at hasciicam too - it draws the images as ascii
text. Really bizarre looking, but it works - why send a 17k image when you
can do it with 800 bytes? Makes for some very fast stuff.

If I oversimplified things here I did it for a reason - it really is
simple. I had everything up and running in about 20 minutes when I tried
it the first time.

Also, stay away from parallel port/usb port cameras. They stink. Use a
vidcap board and real camera. The quality is much better.

Randy Rathbun, NV0U                      randy at randyrathbun.org
http://randyrathbun.org                  nv0u at arrl.net
http://quitequitefantastic.org           Elecraft K2 #1981
http://astrodot.org                      Adv. Radio Society #895

A tough guy told me "I'll bet you $10 you're dead." I was afraid to bet
him.
     -Henny Youngman